Thursday, February 07, 2008

Fun With Turkish

So, I (Jessica) have been trying to cram some language learning in before Silas' arrival (he's due in 6 & 1/2 weeks), and I thought I'd share with you some of what I'm learning, so you can have a small glimpse into what language learning is like.

Yesterday, my assigned homework was to write several sentences in each person group in simple past tense. (Person groups being I, You, He/She, We, plural "You", and They.) So I did that (5 sentences in each group), and then I began thinking how much more fun it would be to make up a fun past-tense story.
So, consider this the unveiling of my very first Turkish story! Don't you feel so special, getting to read what will undoubtedly be an incredible tale that will work its way into your heart, cause you to ponder life's deeper truths, and could possibly change your life?

I'll share the English translation below, after letting you see the Turkish. (I don't know yet if the Turkish is all correct or not-- I'd bet there are at least a couple of errors, but we'll see tomorrow morning in class!)

Ben dün evde Şeri gittim. Biz beraber aliş veriş yaptık. O ben ile konuştu. Biz yolda (caddede?) yürüdük. Biz köpek görüştük. O biz sabret ettik. Biz köpek korktuk. Biz köpekten (oden?) kaçtık. O aynı koştu. O biz ye-mek istedi. Biz evde Şeri döndük. Güldük; ağladık. Ben evim git-mek korktum. Sofada Şeri uyudum.
OK, so I won't give you the whole run-down of Turkish pronunciation. But if you want to try to pronounce what I wrote (try it-- it's fun!!!), in a way that is somewhat close to how it sounds here, you'll want to read through it out loud with these things in mind:
  • S with a tail = "sh"
  • C with a tail = "ch"
  • O with dots = "er"
  • U with dots = kind of a combination of "you" and "ew"
  • Read the entire thing with your lips sticking out like you're saying "ewwww" because something really stinks.
OK, now that you've read through it (you DID try, didn't you?) :) , let me tell you the story in literal (word-for-word) translation:
I yesterday to house of Shari went. We together went shopping. She me with talked. We on the road walked. We a dog saw. He us hated. We the dog feared. We from the dog (from him?) ran away. He also ran. He us to eat wanted. We to house of Shari returned. We laughed; we cried. I my house to go was scared. On the sofa of Shari I slept.
OR, in actual comprehensible English:
Yesterday, I went to Shari's house. We went shopping together. She talked with me. We walked on the road. We saw a dog. He hated us. We were scared of the dog. We ran away from him. He ran too. He wanted to eat us. We returned to Shari's house. We laughed; we cried. I was scared to go home. I slept on Shari's couch.
See how fun it can be to study another language? :)

(And no, none of this actually happened...
it's a fictional story that allowed me to do a little practice.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been asking everyone who asks
about you all to pray especially for the Lord to increase your ability to learn the language. (My note: after all, HE knows every language since the Tower of Babel) Our prayer will be even more intense for your minds to understand Turk. Love you, Dad/Papa

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to throw the cow over the fence some hay for to eat. (german syntax)

Anonymous said...

It looks so hard and complicated! I did try to read it and pronounce the words! You have your work cut out for you! You're doing a great job so far! Love you, Mom

Jess Connell said...

There were several mistakes (all on stuff we hadn't yet learned about possessive nouns)... but on the whole, it was a good effort. :)
~Jess