Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Little Tomb Raiders :)


We visited Saqqara & Dashur today and were able to go into three different tombs-- an overseer's, the King's butcher's tomb (this is us with statues of 5 of his 10 sons), and then a third one that we had to go underground through some tiny shafts to get into!


The kids all had a great time exploring and checking out this awesome site. Saqqara is pretty much the center for information/archaeology for Egypt's Old Kingdom (the dynasties of Egypt that ruled roughly 5,000 years old).
There were other sites, near the ones we went down into, that had not yet been dug out-- literally, hieroglyphic-covered stones sticking up right out of the sand:

They had fun playing in the dirt too. :)

Inside of one tomb (The Tomb of "Ti" for anyone who's interested), the walls were COVERED with "daily life" sort of hieroglyphics... truly breathtaking.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I've never seen such a cute "chunkster" (Silas) in all of my life! Oh my gracious . . . I wish I could squeeze him!!!! That looks so amazing! All I can say is WOW! So glad you are getting to do all of that stuff! How interesting! And, that is like a HUGE sandbox for those kids! ha! Love you all - Mom/Nana

Mom/Nana said...

I think what also amazes me is the hieroglyphics just coming out of the sand & everywhere! Unreal!