Sunday, January 25, 2009

Baxter on future plans, money, & work

So I (Jessica) was in the kitchen talking with Baxter (our 4 & 1/2 year old) the other day, and asked him, "Do you think you might be a daddy one day?"

B: "Yeeesss..."
Me: "How many kids do you think you'll have?"
B: "Sixty-seven or ninety-four"
Me: (raised eyebrows) "Hmm... how will you make money to feed all those children?"
B: (confused look on his face) "I don't know."
Me: "Well, it takes money to buy food, and that would be a lot of kids to buy food for. What will you do to have enough money to buy food for your family?"
B: "I will ...(pause)... just walk around ... (pause)... and look and find it on the ground."
Me: "Hmm. That sounds neat, but pretty unlikely. What will you do for a job?"
B: "Like find treasure... gold coins... and dollars, stuff like that."
Me: "That'd be cool... But what kind of job do you think you might like to do?"
B: (another confused look, and a long pause)
Me: " How will you make money? What kind of work will you do?"
B: "I don't know what you're talking about, 'work'."


Hmmm... we have a lot of training in reality ahead of us. :)

4 comments:

Kim said...

Because he is four, I can say that is so stinking awesome.

I know how he feels. Lucky I fell in love with my work, because I was drifting through life WISHING I could find money on the ground!

(However, if I happen to find a provider-type husband, I will gladly break-up with my job.)

Love y'all!

courtney said...

This "work" thing is no fun, believe me, buddy...keep that cute confused look as long as you can...maybe they will buy it! :) Aren't 4 year olds the best!
CourtneyS

Anonymous said...

My precious angel-pie! I love talking with Baxter, because he is so honest with his feelings! If he doesn't know, he'll say so! And, if he wants to say it, he'll say it! He is a lot of fun to converse with - and his sense of humor is so great!

Unknown said...

Oh, Baxter!!! This whole conversation just made my heart melt. I love hearing your stories!