Thursday, January 10, 2008

What Happens When You've Moved Too Much

For several weeks leading up to our trip to a different city (where we are now), we'd been talking about "going to Antalya", and the kids had been excited about seeing some friends, traveling to a warmer place, and having some fun class times.

About two days before we left, Doug & I were randomly talking about things we needed to do before going on our 15-day trip, and Ethan popped into the conversation, enlightening us on what happens in the mind of a child when they've had constant transition for two years:

ETHAN: "But I LIKE it here."

JESS: "Yeah, we do too- that's why we're coming back here after we get done with our trip to Antalya."

ETHAN: (looking surprised) "We're coming back here?"

JESS: "Yeah."

ETHAN: "To THIS place?"

JESS: "Yeah."

ETHAN: "To our SAME apartment?"

JESS: "Yeah, darlin."

ETHAN: "With all our same stuff in it?!?!?!"

JESS: "Yeah!"

At which point Ethan jumped up and started jumping around, celebrating with whoops and hollers... and Doug and I looked at each other with sad looks.

Doug asked, "Ethan, did you think we were moving again?" "Yeah," came the reply, with a giggle and an embarrassed look.

We talked about it with him more of course, but you know, after living in seven different places over the last two years of our lives, I can't say that I blame him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a precious conversation! I guess that is the reality of his little life thus far! Hopefully, you guys are settled in for a while!

Anonymous said...

When you first told me about that, I had tears in my eyes, and I've told others, and they have the same reaction. . . but I LIKE it here . . . he is so amazing. He was preparing himself to move again. That is an incredible story. Nana

Kim said...

That's funny, in a funny little kid way. :) I am glad he's enjoying where you are!!